|Image by lxde.org - CC BY-SA 3.0|
If you're looking for a fast and light-weight linux desktop, LXDE is a good candidate. Here is a quick guide on getting set-up. One of LXDE's immediate competitors is the XFCE desktop, worth comparing before doing this install.
Debian LXDE documentation can be found here.
- Install the Debian Base System.
- Ensure you are logged-in as root or have install privileges.
- Issue the command aptitude update
- Issue the command aptitude install lxde
The documentation URL above [Accessed On: December 10, 2010] indicates aptitude install --without-recommends lxde-core can be used to install a minimalist LXDE. Note that aptitude install lxde already provides a relatively scanty install when it comes to software apps and add-ons.
- Reboot the system and login.